Jonathan M. Shaw
Jonathan Shaw has more than three decades of experience litigating cases that matter for corporate and individual plaintiffs and defendants in courts across the country, including in multiple trials and appeals in which billions of dollars were at issue. A commercial litigator with broad experience across an array of areas, Mr. Shaw has been honored to have his fellow lawyers choose him to advise and represent them in disputes with their law firms and former clients. Mr. Shaw also represents select corporate clients in plaintiff’s legal malpractice cases against attorneys whose negligence has caused them substantial harm. And he advises and provides due diligence services for litigation funders and investors considering whether to risk their capital in litigation or in companies with substantial litigation claims or exposure.
Mr. Shaw has substantial experience representing and advising corporations and individuals facing antitrust, securities, non-compete, intellectual property and trade secret, unfair competition, contract, partnership, professional responsibility, professional liability, class action, and other types of commercial disputes and issues in both federal and state courts and before arbitral tribunals. Among other notable representations, Mr. Shaw:
- Assumed defense of a class action under the Video Privacy Protection Act seeking millions of dollars in statutory damages, punitive damages, and attorney’s fees. Our aggressive defense—a counterclaim against the named plaintiff and a motion attacking plaintiff’s claim—resulted in the plaintiff’s counsel contacting me to ask for a walk-away settlement just one business day after the hearing on our motion. Result: Total victory in less than two months.
- Helped Barclays defeat a $13 billion fraud claim, while recovering $8.3 billion on its affirmative contract claims, following a lengthy bankruptcy trial and appeals to the SDNY and the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Successfully represented Barclays in a series of actions brought by partners of a defunct Wall Street law firm advancing various fraud, RICO, and contract theories to challenge their obligations to repay their capital loans.
- Successfully defended Qwest against multiple individual and class securities, fraud, and RICO actions seeking multi-billion-dollar damages;
- Successfully represented Genesco in bench trial against UBS and Finish Line. Court rejected the defendants’ fraud, securities fraud, and material adverse event claims and ordered Finish Line to close on its $1.5 billion purchase of Genesco; case settled for $175 million plus 12% of Finish Line’s stock.
- Co-lead counsel for class of municipal entities in antitrust litigation arising out of bid-rigging in the municipal derivatives industry; recovered $240 million for the class and received American Antitrust Institute’s Award for Outstanding Achievement in Private Antitrust Litigation.
- Co-lead counsel for shareholder class in securities fraud action against Genzyme; class received $64 million.
- Successfully defended REI against hundreds of millions of dollars in claims brought by Bank of America and Chase over affinity credit card programs.
- Successfully assumed the defense of a law firm in a dispute with its former partners immediately after the client had represented itself at trial and lost a substantial jury verdict. The case settled after post-trial motions convinced the trial judge to cut the damage award by more than 95%.
- Represented a group of partners who left a major law firm in a dispute over compensation; case settled for full amount claimed.
- Successfully represented a major law firm in confidential arbitration involving a multi-million-dollar fee claim and a malpractice counterclaim exceeding $50 million.
- Boies Schiller Flexner LLP, Washington, DC, 2005-2022
- Susman Godfrey LLP, Seattle, Washington, 1998-2005
- Wiley, Rein & Fielding, Washington, DC, 1993-1998
- Law Clerk, The Hon. Frank A. Kaufman, United States District Court for the District of Maryland, Baltimore, MD, 1992-1993
- The University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D. cum laude 1992
- The Johns Hopkins University, B.A. History (Dept. Hons.) 1989
- Commercial Litigation
- District of Columbia